Monday, September 27, 2010

how to revamp a Bentwood

I have always had a thing for op-shopping, whether it be for clothes and shoes or furniture as I now seem to be obsessed with (although I can never usually find the time for op-shopping or revamping! Is it just me who has this problem?). It must have been one of those lucky days that I decided to check out a junk shop on my way home one day - and sitting outside was this bentwood chair! I knew I had to have it. It was $25 but I got it for $20 - bargain! Now my dilemma is how to revamp it...



I have a few ideas. Here's what I'm thinking (after sanding, and replacing the awful seat):

1. Leave the chair in it's original colour - like this one


2. Paint the chair white, perhaps using Porter's Paints Milk paint (and if I get creative, I'd like to create a cushion insert for the seat using a nice fabric) - like this one here and here

3. Paint the chair a canary yellow - like this one

What do you think? What would you do if you owned this Bentwood?

I look at it every day as it sits in the corner of our bedroom, crying out for me to do something to it, so I'm hoping to for some Monday inspiration..

8 comments:

  1. It probably depends a bit on the rest of your decor- personally, I love the either the yellow or the traditional brown stain... What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of some colour! Once you find the right fabric for the seat you will know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh great find! i love to spend countless hours during work looking at the 'before & after' section of Design sponge - great for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chair and a total bargain! I would go for the yellow...but then i'm a sucker for yellow! Can't wait to see what you do with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling, how did you get that chair for practically nothing? You are one lucky girl. I'm with Julie, choose your fabric and that will dictate that colour. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Janis, I think the Gods were smiling down on me that day!! Pure luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow!! lucky you - ive been looking for one on Ebay recently - i want one for my bedroom....id leave it natural
    like this image i have in my 'inspiration' file http://www.flickr.com/photos/anastasiac/3000529092/
    but i do love them in bright colours like
    red or yellow!! ive seen them featured like that in Real living mag and they look fantastic!...
    Hugs
    Anastasia
    http://anastasiac.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow! Yellow! Yellow!

    I love Viv's milk paint bentwood, it's a really fresh take on it.

    I went the traditional route and re-stained mine:
    http://www.twolittledickybirdsblog.com/2010/02/beautiful-bentwood-chairs-complete.html

    Can't wait to see which way you go, they're such fab chairs - you scored a real bargain too, well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. You rock!
Maria xx